Friday, November 21, 2008

This hospital is awesome

I love Texas Children's Hospital. This is just a great place. Here's why:

1) Ezekiel is now breastfeeding! Yay!! The lactation consultant came and helped me get him to latch on. We are also using a nipple shield, which seems to have been the key. We are breastfeeding four times a day (although he still recieves his normal feeding through a tube after feeding, as our sessions are considered "non-nutritive". This just means he is eating more and hopefully gaining weight!).

2) They are doing a caloric-content test on my milk to find out if he needs fortifiers or not. Hopefully I produce high-calorie milk and we won't need to fortify anymore. They weren't able to do this test at Wilford Hall. I am sooo excited to have this done! It should be done on Monday.

3) He is almost completely off oxygen!! I have a feeling that he will be off of it in the next few days!!!!

4) The doctors/staff let us participate in their daily discussion of our child (called "rounds"). At Wilford we were allowed to listen, but not really allowed to ask too many questions or take up too much time. Here the doctor gave up his chair for me to sit in, and they let us take all the time we want. They seem to really value our input and concerns. Not that the doctors at Wilford didn't-- they did--- it's just a different feel here. Probably the difference between military and civilian hospitals.

Wilford hall was great, and I miss the staff and our friends there. But this hospital is just a step above wilford.

The eye doctor saw Ezekiel yesterday. Right now his Retena is not detached. The Optamologist (Dr. Holz) is coming back the Monday after Thanksgiving to check them again. Please pray he won't need surgery! Please pray for his eye to be healed. We really believe God just used this eye thing to move us over to Texas Children's Hospital where he would be able to do all the things I listed above. Hopefully the next time he gets an eye exam, there will be no problems. Then Ezekiel would be discharged from here and go.... HOME!!!! Oh AND our little boy is growing-- he no longer fits in his preemie clothes! What a big boy!!

Meanwhile between pumping, holding, breastfeeding, and grabing something to eat, Daniel and I are having a good time. I think we will try to go downtown sometime and have a little fun. There is a tram in Houston! We are so excited to take it, and it runs right in front of the hospital. Daniel is much more relaxed since he is not going to work and since this is not a military hospital. When they first told us we were being trasfered to Houston, I completely freaked out, but now that we are here I am soooo glad. It has been such a good thing for Ezekiel, and it's good for us right now, too.

I wish I could post pictures, but that will have to wait until we get home. Thank you everyone for all your prayers. Please keep praying! I will try to update every day or two while we are here.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Kristin, what wonderful news! I am so happy to read all of this. We continue to pray for you all. My son said, "Come on baby Ezekiel, you can do it!"

J. Pike said...

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!! I am so happy he is breastfeeding! What a blessing!! I knew if anyone could do it, it would be you. =)

I am so glad for you that it's been a great experience in Houston. Happiness is a good feeling. Glad Daniel doesn't have to work and can be there for you!

Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work and have fun downtown!

Love,
Jamie

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear all the good news! I really hope you all can use this time to recharge and get ready for your sweet little one to come home! And I am so thrilled about you being able to breastfeed and I know you are too! We will pray for high calorie breast milk and completely healed eyes! We love you!

Teresa said...

Thank you Jesus!!! What wonderful ways He is blessing you right now! I can't wait to hear more, and I especially can't wait to get some photos!!! :-)

Caitilin's shower is tomorrow! Her church and some family members are hosting it.

Love you all,
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an awesome day! We will keep praying for the eyes, the breastfeeding....everything.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post, Kristin. This was a hard day for me (Teena's visitation tonight and her funeral tomorrow). It was such a blessing to come home and find the great report on your blog. I love you, sweetie....and of, course, Daniel and Ezekiel, too. Have a wonderful time, and kiss Ezie for me! Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Yeah! You seem so encouraged. I was really sad when I read your last blog before you went to Houston. I have been really hoping that you would be home for Thanksgiving with your little guy. It's great to hear that he is making quick progress.
I'm glad that the lactation consultant was able to help! They can be a big help as you both are learning how to do something that seems so natural but can have a learning curve. Hope he continues to progress in this department. I'm really proud of you for being so great about pumping for the last three months...that I know takes a lot of discipline!

Aaron, Sarah, and Emily Walter said...

I am so glad that everything has gone smoothly in your hospital switch-this is how it's supposed to be for ya in the NICU (ie: feeling comfortable where you're at, participating in his rounds and having your opinion matter). That's so nice that Daniel can stay off and you are still financially taken care of! Oh, the NICU RN in me is so excited to hear how happy you sound with your new diggs. I'm glad things are going smoothly and improving with feeding-and what a chunky baby he's becoming! I work with at least 3 Doctors that are from Baylor (and worked at the NICU at TX children's). I actually worked with them at Ohio state too 7-8 years ago-they're good docs and have lots of good things to say about Houston....(One is now the Chief of Neonatology here at Children's-I'd say he got some good experience down there).

Anyways, after I've written a book here to ya-we'll just keep praying for a smooth few weeks-then hopefully homebound for you! You guys are great parents and are doing a perfect job-do take time together to enjoy the city a little (just stay outta the ghetto next time!).