Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Has it really been a year?

I can't believe that tomorrow is Ezekiel's first birthday. It's gone so fast! Ok, the first 4 months were super slow. In some ways I'm sad... I don't feel like I have a little baby anymore. He said "dada" today for the first time! He said it about 5 or 6 times, it was so cute.

These pictures make me sad, for a few reasons. First, obviously, he was born too early and spent way too long in the hospital. Second, we didn't really get any good pictures of his first day of life. I think we were just so flustered, and I remember not feeling like I could ask to have his isolette opened up so I could get clear pictures. It didn't feel like we were allowed to act like he was ours because we weren't allowed to touch him or hold him. Nearly all the pictures are blurry and hard to see, or bad angles. We also didn't get any good "comparison" pictures, like of Ezekiel next to someone's hand, or with Daniel's wedding ring around his arm, etc. You know, normal preemie stuff. But I don't mean to complain. These pictures are from his first few hours. Daniel took them-- by the time I got to go see Zeke he was in his isolette.

5 comments:

Luanne in Ohio said...

Happy Birthday, Zeke! I wish I could be there to see you open presents and put your fingers in the cake. Grandma loves you very, very much!!

Charissa said...

Congratulations! This made me tear up as we're approaching Levi's very emotional first birthday as well. Enjoy the anniversary of your little miracle!

Paige said...

Happy Birthday, Ezekiel! You're getting so big!

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Oh Kristin. I'm giving you a big hug right now.

"Grandma" Slaughter said...

Those first pictures of him look all too familiar to us. Aren't we so blessed that we have healthy little ones now?? He looked like he enjoyed his cake on Sat. Happy Birthday, big boy!